Praise the Lord! Give thanks to the Lord because he is good, because his faithful love endures forever.
- from yesterday's scripture, Psalm 106
• Boulevard Manor Meeting in Fellowship Hall, 7-8pm
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 7-9 pm
• Brethren Voices, 11am, more details
• Handbell Choir Rehearsal, 7-8pm
• Power & Privilege conference, at Bridgewater CoB, more details
• Fall Work Day, 9am - noon
• Sunday School, 9:45am
• All Church Baby Shower for Melody and James, after worship
• Brethren Voices, 6:30pm, more details
• Supportive Communities Network event at Oakton CoB, 7pm
Wed., 10/25 - Young Adult DC Gathering, 6:30pm
Thurs., 10/26 - Breakfast Bunch, 8am
Sat., 10/28 - CROP Walk, 8am registration, more details
Sat., 10/28 - Shepherd's Spring Into the Dark Retreat, through 10/29
Sat., 11/4 - Soup and Pie Bazaar, 9am - 2pm, more details
Fri., 11/10 - Simple Living Weekend, at Brethren Woods, more details
Wed., 11/22 - Community Thanksgiving Service at ACoB, 7pm
Power, Privilege and the Journey Toward Justice | October 20-22, Bridgewater, VA
Registration is now open for this timely conference event, co-sponsored by BMC and OEP. Facilitators Regina Shands Stoltzfus and Matt Guynn will help participants meet the goals of the weekend: to examine how power and privilege affects our individual and corporate lives; to analyze how power operates within the church; to learn new ways to use power to further nonviolent change; and to share experiences of liberation through storytelling, worship and conversation. CEUs are available. Registration cost increases October 9. For more information, click here.
Simplify: A Simple Living Weekend | November 10-11, Brethren Woods Camp
Simple Living has been a core Brethren value since our earliest days as a denomination. But what does it mean to live simply in a busy, modern, 21st century world? What does it mean for us, for our relationship with God, and for the Earth? Join inspiring practitioners and experts on simple living as they offer practical, engaging, and hands-on workshops and experiences to help us consider what simple living looks like for us today. We’ll have opportunities for worship, fellowship, and great food. More information here.
Big Bulletin | July, 2017 Edition
Find the latest edition of the newsletter online here or request a paper copy from the office.
More Details | arlingtoncob.org/calendar
For more information on neighboring church, denomination and non-profit events listed, check the calendar at the above link or contact the office.
Advocate, Volunteer + Give.
CROP Walk | October 28, 8am
This 5K/10K walk is part of a nationwide network of Hunger Walks sponsored by Church World Service to raise funds to provide sustainable self-help and development, disaster relief, and refugee assistance around the world. Join us on Saturday, October 28 at First Presbyterian Church! Registration begins at 8:00am with the walk beginning at 9:00am rain or shine.
Soup and Pie Bazaar | November 4, 9am - 2pm
Pitch in for our annual festival and fundraiser. Plan now to make soup and pie or to volunteer in the kitchen. Pull from storage your white elephant donations. Craft items and baked goods will be needed. More information coming soon!
New Episode! Dunker Punks Podcast | http://bit.ly/compellingvision
In the most recent episode, Elizabeth Ullery-Swenson brings together a panel of young adult leaders in the Church of the Brethren in this episode of the podcast. Jennifer Keeny Scar, Tim Heishman, and Colin Scott examine the future of the church through an open conversation which includes challenges in the denomination.Type in the case sensitive url to listen on the showpage or subscribe on iTunes. Listen by clicking the above link or subscribing on iTunes.
Worship Audio | Online
Listen again to this week's sermon, catch a sermon from a Sunday you were out or peruse the archives. Each Sunday message along with a selection of hymns and readings is posted online or subscribe on iTunes.
Brethren Voices | Miss Pennsylvania 2017
Brethren Voices is the TV show featuring what Brethren do as a matter of our faith. The episode for October features Katie Schreckengast, a member of the Church of the Brethren and recently crowned Miss Pennsylvania. Watch online now! Watch in Arlington on Comcast 69/Verizon-FIOS 38 on Sundays at 6:30 pm, Wednesdays at 11 am.
New! #BlessedBreak | http://bit.ly/BlessedBreak70
This week’s video anticipates the 40th annual Arlington CROP Walk on Saturday, October 28. More information, and directions for donating or joining our team can be found here.
Pray. Call. Write.
- Edna Cook and daughter Judy, Alma's sister
- Mrs. Shawn Hiepson, healing breast cancer
- Jim Wilson, Joann's brother following recovery for bypass surgery
- Steven Maxwell, Ralph's brother, for his move
- Theresa M., entering hospice care
- Edna, Alma's sister, after a fall and pneumonia
- Jill Carter, friend of Shelley + Chris, facing surgery and cancer treatment
- Dee and family, following her mother's death
- Birgitta D. and daughter Sophia
- Carole C. , continuing health recovery
- Hurricane Maria refugees and victims
- Mexico earthquake refugees and victims
- Hurricane Harvey and Irma storm refugees and victims
- Gary and family, following the death of his aunt Elizabeth
- Karolina W, recovering following treatments
- Yoder Family, transitioning at work ahead of overseas transfer next summer and mourning a close colleague and friend killed in a car accident
- Church of the Brethren in Nigeria (EYN), including 113 girls still captive
Keep in your ongoing prayers: Erin Julca, Steve Shuss, Minnie Simmons, Carolyn Studds
Note: Prayer concerns will ordinarily be listed for four weeks. If you would like one to be kept on or added back in, please let the office know. Names in bold are new to the list or updated this week.
Due to technical difficulties, there is no audio podcast of this week’s sermon. Instead, you can revisit Pastor Nancy’s sermon on Exodus 32:1-14 in text form here.: http://bit.ly/ACoBMessage101517