"Let the oil soak into your very being. And when you look again in the mirror, may you see the one who is loved so deeply."
- Pastor Christy's invitation to anointing
• Combined Church Board/Consistory Meeting, 7pm
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 7-9pm
• John Dettra's birthday!
• Brethren Voices, 11 am
• ACOB Office Hours, 4-5 pm
• IRPE Band Practice, 6-9 pm in Fellowship Hall
• ACOB Office Hours, 9-11 am + 6:30 - 8 pm
• Kaizen Karate, 6:30pm in fellowship hall
• Community Choir Practice, 7:30 pm at AFUMC
• Andy's Organ Practice, 9-11 am
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 5-9pm
• Bethel UCC Worshiping at ACOB, 9:30 am
• Sunday School Starts, 9:45 am
• Ice Cream Social, after worship in fellowship hall
• ACOB Office Hours, 12-3 pm
• Cambodian Alliance Evangelical Church, 1-4 pm in Sanctuary + Fellowship Hall
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 5-9 pm in Fellowship Hall
• Brethren Voices, 6:30 pm
Mon., 9/10 - Congregational Life Ministry Team Meeting, 7 pm in library
Wed., 9/12 - Bell Choir Practice Resumes, 7 pm
Fri., 9/14 - Young Adult Gathering, 6:30pm, fellowship hall
Fri., 9/14 - 9/16 - Save the Date for Bethel Estate Sale
Sat., 9/15 - Shredding for AFAC, 10 am
Fri., 9/21 - International Day of Prayer for Peace
Sun., 9/23 - Unity Sunday Worship + Picnic, 11am & Noon
Thurs., 9/27 - Breakfast Bunch, 8am
Sat. 9/29 - AFUMC Paint NIght, 2pm
Fri., 10/12 - 13 - Mid-Atlantic District Conference
Sat., 10/13 - CROP Walk
Sun., 10/14 - Big Sunday School, 10am
Invitation | Contact Pastor Christy
Have you been thinking about formally becoming a member of ACOB? Would you like to talk about your discernment or process your own journey? Pastor Christy would appreciate having a conversation with you. Contact her (firstname.lastname@example.org or 814 599-6307) to schedule an appointment.
CROP Walk | Donate + Save the Date
Child Care | Volunteer during Worship
Please sign-up to care for the children in the nursery during the worship hour. New volunteers are needed and would be very appreciated. All volunteers must meet insurance safety requirements. Please connect with Suzanne in the office if you are unsure of your eligibility.
Disaster Relief | Donate via the MAD Disaster Relief Auction Jar
Don’t forget to save your change and drop it in the collection jar. All donations add up to support people across the world recovering from disasters.
Old Books | Up for Grabs!
Check out our newly tidied library and take a minute to peruse the boxes of books sorted out during the ongoing sprucing up of our building spaces. Feel free to take any before they are moved along to a recycling outfit in Harrisonburg. Contact Alma with questions.
Children’s Sunday School | Next Sunday, September 9, 9:45 am
Children from Bethel and ACOB will have Sunday School together this Sunday starting at 9:45 am, while Bethel adults worship. Grades 3-6 will attend a class upstairs with Ms. Judy while 3 year-olds through 2nd graders will attend downstairs with Ms. Alma. Both classes will use the Shine curriculum with the fall theme, "God's Blessing and Care." Contact Alma with questions.
Adult Sunday School | Next Sunday, September 9, 9:45 am
The adult Sunday School class will resume with a study of the book, Unafraid: Living with Courage and Hope in Uncertain Times by Pastor Adam Hamilton. “Drawing on recent research, inspiring real-life examples, and fresh biblical insight, Hamilton shows how to untangle the knots we feel about disappointing others, failure, financial insecurity…” Whether you're a regular participant or interested in checking out this class for the first time, you are always welcome. We've moved to room 303 on the third floor. Contact Nancy with questions.
Shredding 4 Hunger | September 15, 10 am-1 pm
Every year we partner with Ann Wilson Reality to provide a document shredding truck service in exchange for non-perishable food donations for AFAC. This is always a very successful service project for Hunger Action Month in September. Even if you don't need to shred documents, consider bringing by a food donation to fill AFAC's shelves. The event will be September 9. Contact Karolina if you can volunteer.
Brethren Voices | September 16 Fund Drive
Brethren Voices will not air at its usual time on 9/16 while Arlington Independent Media holds a Fund Drive. Please consider making a pledge to AIM. Your donation helps keep Brethren Voices and other local community programs on the air. Contact the office for help making a donation to AIM or Brethren Voices.
Unity Worship + Picnic | Sept., 23, 2018, 11 am
In celebration of the International Day of Prayer for Peace, all four congregations that share our building will join together for our annual joint worship service in three languages, letting God's Spirit do the translating. A hearty potluck meal follows where we learn about each other across culture and languages. All are welcome to join our diverse fellowship! Contact Melody with questions.
AFUMC Paint Night | Sat., Sept. 29, 2 pm
Join our community partners for a monthly paint night. $20 covers the canvas, paint and instruction. Snacks and inspiring music are provided. Come and let God's talents work through you. Contact the office to be in touch with Leslie at AFUMC with questions.
MAD District Conference | Registration Open
This year's annual gathering of delegates and congregants in the Mid-Atlantic District is at Manassas COB from October 12-13. Linda Lambert is moderating, Sona Wenger is Moderator Elect and Brenda Palsgrove is serving as clerk. Contact the office for help to register and to join a carpool.
Volunteer to Garden | Lawns 2 Lettuce 4 Lunch
Our neighborhood Reevesland Learning Center will be planting a new organic lettuce crop in our church garden beds soon. Twice a year, Reevesland harvests lettuce and washes it in our kitchen for a salad lunch at Ashlawn Elementary. They are warmly inviting church members to help plant by staying after worship for 10 minutes or so in early September. Contact Joan at email@example.com or 703-528-2646 to help.
This 5K/10K walk is part of a nationwide network of Hunger Walks sponsored by Church World Service to raise funds to provide sustainable self-help and development, disaster relief, and refugee assistance around the world. Click here to donate and ask others to pitch in too. Then, plan to walk the morning of Saturday, October 13. Contact Marcia with questions.
New! Dunker Punks Podcast | Journey
Nolan McBride returns after his semester spent in England to share his experience of a pilgrimage and confirmation ceremony. Listen as he encourages you to find God’s presence in a new and different way. http://bit.ly/DPP_Episode65
Pray. Call. Write.
- Sue Jenkins, friend of Peggy (ACOB), anticipating heart valve replacement September 5
- Sue Hilmer, giving thanksgiving for healing following her hip surgery, and the many ways she felt supported by the congregation
- Carole Compton, who is making progress walking with her prosthesis
- Kathleen, Melody’s friend, whose baby is now home and routines needing to be established prior to her return to work in two weeks
- Jaque, who is weak following the completion of this series of chemo treatments
- Students and teachers, who started a new school year
- Children separated from their families, and those who are experiencing trauma following their reunification
- Bethel UCC Church, who were officially welcomed at ACOB today with a memory bookmark.
Local Sheriff's Office, in the wake of recent deaths on staff
Laura Wells (BUCC), doing well four weeks post surgery for cancer
Immigrants suffering amidst a contentious political environment, all the
while trying to maintain their identity and culture
Mary, Marcia's friend (ACOB), anticipating surgery and radiation for uterine cancer
Pastor Alex's dad (AFUMC), recovering well from a stroke
Elderly and shut in, that we would be moved to call and visit regularly
Jane, Carolyn's mother-in-law (BUCC), recovering well from a successful heart surgery
Bruce, Linda's brother (BUCC), having a difficult time
Chuck Norton (BUCC), started clinical trials for cancer treatment last week
Randy Sharp's brother (AFUMC), who suffered a stroke
John (ACOB), recovering from pneumonia
Chip + Gary (John's sons) (ACOB), both doing very well after Gary donated a kidney to Chip
Debbie's Family, including her husband John, 4 children and 10 grandchildren friend of Pastor Christy (ACOB), who died last Monday after a kidney and liver transplant
Nancy, Donna's neighbor and friend (ACOB), travelling to Florida for stem cell treatment to counteract debilitating stroke several years ago
- Caregivers, helping loved ones through health problems
- Susan's family (ACOB), mourning the loss of her young niece from a heart attack following kidney failure
- A better healthcare system
- Lillian Varner's family and friends, special aunt of Carol Cory and Rick and Jim Fields (ACOB), Lillian died July 31 in Fredericksburg, one week shy of her 98th birthday. She and her late husband Clarence Varner were charter members of ACOB.
- Cindy (ACOB), recovering from a root canal
- John McCain's family, following the Senator's passing from brain cancer
- Maggie (Bethel UCC), anticipating tests to check for recurrence of cancer
- Dennis, friend of Cindy (ACOB), recovering from surgery
- Gadbey family (AFUMC), returning from several years in Djibouti
- Warren Brown's family and friends, Post auto columnist and neighbor of Rick and Donna (ACOB), recently passed
Keep in your ongoing prayers: Steve Shuss, Minnie Simmons, Carolyn Studd
* Prayer concerns will ordinarily be listed for four weeks. If you would like one to be kept on or added back in, please let the office know. Names in bold are new to the list or updated this week.