"The idea being that, we may be within these walls but the people we are called to serve are outside of these walls. Traditionally churches have served them but then tried to get them through the door. We thought, what if we just served them."
Pastor Nancy on this month's Brethren Voices about ACOB's Ministries
• Pastor Nancy on Vacation, thru Sat., 2/18
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 7-9 pm
• Brethren Voices, 11 am, more details
• Yoga, 5:45 pm in fellowship hall
• Handbell Choir Practice, 7 pm
• Kaizen Karate, 6:30 pm in fellowship hall
• Community Choir Practice, 7:30 pm at AFUMC
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 5-9 pm
• Big Sunday School, 9:45 am, more details
• Rev. Dr. Alex Duncan Preaching, 11 am
• Pot Luck Lunch, 12 pm, more details
• Brethren Voices, 6:30 pm, more details
Wed., Feb. 22 - DC Young Adult Gathering, 6:30 pm
Thurs., Feb. 23 - Breakfast Bunch, 8 am
Thurs., Feb. 23 - Centering Prayer, 4 pm
Sun., Feb. 26 - Environmental Concerns SS Class, 9:45 am
Wed., March 1 - Hunger Buffet Mission Meal, Shepherd's Spring
Sat., March 4 - Volunteer at AFAC, 8:30 am
Sun., March 5 - Joint Worship at AFUMC, 10 am *Note earlier time
Sun., March 5 - MAD Lenten Service Series, 6:45 pm at Bush Creek COB
Wed., March 8 - Lenten Quiet Day, Shepherd's Spring
Fri., March 10 - ACOB Young Adults Gathring, 6:30 pm
Sun., March 12 - Community Choir Singing during Worship, 11 am
Sun., March 12 - MAD Lenten Service Series, 6:45 pm at Meadow Branch COB
Thurs., March 16 - AFAC Fundraiser: A Light Exists in Spring
Fri., March 17 - Poetry as Prayer Workshop, Shepherd's Spring
Sat., March 18 - Art for Worship, Susquehanna Valley Ministry Center
Sun., March 19 - MAD Lenten Service Series, 6:45 pm at Piney Creek COB
Fri.-Sat., March 24 - 25 - All Church Retreat, at Shepherd's Spring
Sun., March 26 - MAD Lenten Service Series, 6:45 pm at Union Bridge COB
Brethren Voices Big Sunday School + Pot Luck Lunch | This Sun., Feb. 19
This month, Big Sunday School is hosted by the ACOB Welcome Ministry Team to feature the latest Brethren Voices episode on the ministries of Arlington Church of the Brethren. Children will do a lesson separate from the tv show. Join downstairs at 9:45 am to view the broadcast and return to the fellowship after worship for a pot luck meal together. Please bring food to share. All are warmly welcomed. Contact Robyn with questions.
Decals | No matter where you are from, we’re glad you’re our neighbor
Immanuel Mennonite in Harrisonburg, VA posted a literal sign of welcoming love that has inspired thousands across the country. ACOB is making some available in our neighborhoods too. Only decals are left. Note that they include ACOB’s address! They are $2 each. Please reimburse Cindy directly who picked them up from Ayuda, a metro area immigrant aid organization.
New Office Hours | Thursday Morning, 9:30 am-12:30 pm
Church office hours on Wednesday evening have moved to Thursday morning. A big thanks to Alma for making this possible by generously offering to care for Marylynne at this time!
More Details | arlingtoncob.org/calendar
For more information on neighboring church, denomination and non-profit events listed, check the calendar at the above link or contact the office.
Volunteer + Give.
Disaster Response Auction | Donate by Sun., Feb. 19
The 37th annual auction will be held May 6 in Westminster, MD. Last year over $62K was raised to help victims of disasters across the world. Help by donating auction items or monetary gifts for the auction booklet. Every auction booklet sponsorship makes sure more of the auction profits go to victims of disasters. Sponsor levels are set at $10, $25, $35 and $50+, and you can designate your donation in the offering. Write checks to ACOB and they will be forwarded from the church. Contact Marcia with questions. For a list of needed auction items see the flyer on the bulletin board in the narthex which includes contact information for donating.
Food Drives | Donation Bins in Office Hallway
Keep the ongoing food collections in mind on your regular grocery shopping trips. Throughout the year, we collect whole grain, low sugar cereals to donate for distribution to families served at AFAC. Throughout the winter, we are continuing to support families of our building partner congregation, IRPE, who have been laid off from seasonal jobs like construction with non-perishables like cereal, beans, rice, and canned goods. Donate in the bins by the window in the office hallway. Contact the office with any questions.
Brethren Voices is the TV show featuring what Brethren do as a matter of our faith. February features our very own ministries here at ACOB! In this first episode of two, Pastor Nancy is interviewed about the creative ways she leads us being church and in community. Watch in Arlington on Comcast 69/Verizon-FIOS 38 on Sundays at 6:30 pm, Wednesdays at 11 am or online anytime.
Worship Audio | Online
Brethren Voices | ACOB's Ministries
Listen again to this week's sermon, catch a sermon from a Sunday you were out or peruse the archives. Each Sunday message along with a selection of hymns and readings is posted online or subscribe on iTunes.
Did you hear about the time when even Jesus changed his mind? Dana Cassell talks with Lauree Hersch Meyer about Matthew 15 where we find Jesus opening himself to a new perspective. Listen by clicking the above link or subscribing on iTunes.
Dunker Punks Podcast | http://bit.ly/DPP_Episode24
Pray. Call. Write.
- Linda, Suzanne's mom, recovering from ketoacidosis
- Erica Whitaker, Elaine's great niece, recovering from recent surgery after multiple serious health concerns including dialysis
- Charlotte, Amy's mom, anticipating surgery on 3/13 for a brain aneurysm
- Hubert Wright's Family + Friends, Shelley's grandfather and best friend who passed suddenly from pneumonia
- Ralph, in room 215 at Manor Care on Carlin Springs for another week recovering from surgery for broken hip
- Hazel, moving to Woodbridge
- Jo Ann, starting a new health regime after recent procedure
- Safe travels, for all heading home from the Women's March including Briana and her friends and the Gallego family
- Jim + Jeannie Payne, friends of Robyn, Jim is facing heart health challenges
- Orin, seeking housing and employment in Arlington
- Anabaptist Meeting in Buenos Aires, check out the latest activity on Facebook to pray for a positive and lasting impact
- Walkin-Haske Family, cotinued health improvments and ongoing health treatments
- Marion, a year recovered and doing well after brain aneurysm
- Pastor Mike, continuing to deal with liver failure and awaiting transplant
- Jummai Paul, kidnapped Chibok girl and 195 others
- Church of the Brethren in Nigeria (EYN)
Keep in your ongoing prayers: Minnie Simmons, Dorothy Fravel (Dee’s mom), Theresa McCary, Erin Julca, Steve Shuss, Elizabeth Smucker, Carolyn Studds
Note: Prayer concerns will ordinarily be listed for four weeks. If you would like one to be kept on or added back in, please let the office know. Names in bold are new to the list or updated this week.
In this week's scripture, Moses gives his final pep talk, that we already have the tools we need to succeed. He repeats the word "today," urging us to make the choice now to act in faithful obedience. We won't be perfect, but we can ask God to initiate the change in us that makes obedience possible. And if we fall short, we can look forward and continue to give our best effort. The reality of living and giving our lives to Jesus isn't glorious or easy, but when we plant and water the seeds, God will make them grow!
Charlotte talked to the children about different kinds of love. As we celebrate Valentine's Day, let's remember God's agape love and show it with actions like hugs and helping. In this way, we can be action figures for God!
Over 250 people including our own Lisa, Alma and Marcia had a Souper Sunday supporting AFAC at their annual Souper Bowl fundraiser last week. For more details, check out this write up in the Arlington Connection.