God is the same, even when God invites us to do new things. May our new Sunday School year be marked by enthusiasm and love so that, with the inspiration of God's Spirit, we may continue to grow in faith. God will help us fulfill God's hope for us.
From yesterday's Message for the Children at Heart
• Hunger Action, Serve only vegetables and love for dinner tonight.
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 7-9 pm
• Hunger Action, Where in your life do you experience abundance? Money? Love? Hope? Time? Share what seems overflowing today.
• Brethren Voices, 11 am, more details
• Yoga, 5:45 pm, more details
• Bell Choir Planning Meeting, 7:30 pm
• No Wednesday Office Hours This Week
• Hunger Action, Set aside a "want" and share a tithe of what that "want" would cost.
• Hunger Action, For what are you hungering and thirsting today? Spend time in prayer.
• Hunger Action, How is hunger an issue of justice? Consider the politics of food and hunger. Find your voice and be heard!
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 5-9 pm
• Hunger Action, They say talk is cheap. Put a penny in your coin box for every 100 words you speak today.
• Scripture Stumbles, 9:45 am, more details
• Worship, 11 am
• Assembling School Kits + Finishing Dolls, downstairs after worship
• Brethren Voices, 6:30 pm, more details
• Hunger Action, Put a quarter in your coin box each time you worry this week.
Mon., Sept 19 - ACoB's International Day of Prayer for Peace Gathering
Thurs., Sept. 22 - Breakfast Bunch
Fri., Sept. 30 - Movie for Blessing of the Animals
Sun., Oct. 2 - Ecumenical Blessing of the Animals
Mon., Oct. 3 - Board Meeting
Sat., Oct. 8 - MAD District Conference
Sat., Oct. 22 - CROP Walk
Sat., Oct. 29 - Fall Church Work Day
Sat., Nov. 5 - Soup + Pie Bazaar
Beginner Yoga | Wednesdays, 5:45 pm
Join others in the fellowship hall for simple, gentle beginner yoga, especially designed to include folks 55+. $9.00 per session. This is the first of another 6 week session. Contact Pastor Nancy with questions.
Christian Education at ACoB | Learn More in the Big Bulletin
New and continuing opportunities to grow in faith through group study await us this year. We will continuing to meet as a church for Intergenerational Big Sunday School on most second Sundays. The remaining Sundays will still see the children meet with Ms. Alma and the upstairs adult class meet during the Sunday School hour. However, the library class will shift to a rotating, drop-in group discussion model during the Sunday School hour focusing on a book the first Sunday of the month, open Scripture exploration on the third Sunday, Brethren Voices TV show the fourth Sunday and Messenger magazine articles on the fifth Sunday. Get more details in the latest Big Bulletin newsletter to learn more about continuing Christian education opportunities, as well as this new opportunity to meet and learn with people and content that both change from week to week.
Donate CWS School Kits | Assemble after Worship This Sunday
Stay after worship this Sunday (9/18) to help assemble school kits. We'll send them to Church World Service (CWS) who then distributes these basic tools for learning to children in impoverished schools, refugee camps, and other difficult settings. Please continue to donate completed school kits up until 9/18. Contact Lisa with any questions. CWS School Kits Include:
Comfort Dolls for Nigerian Children | Help Finish after Worship This Sunday
Children's Disaster Relief Services for the CoB is collecting hand-sewn, knitted, or crocheted dolls and stuffed animals to help provide comfort for Nigerian children in trauma healing workshops. We'll gather after worship (9/18) to put finishing touches on the dolls (stuffing, dressing and making faces). No crafting experience is necessary to help.
- One pair Fiskars blunt metal scissors (rounded tip)
- Three 70-count, wide rule, spiral notebooks (no loose leaf or filler paper)
- One 30-centimeter ruler (12")
- One hand-held pencil sharpener
- One large eraser
- Six to Eight new pencils with erasers
- One box of 24 count Crayola crayons (24 count only)
Big Bulletin | New issue! http://bit.ly/BlessedBreak26
The latest newsletter was inserted in yesterday's bulletin and mailed to regulars not in attendance. It includes articles about Christian Education at ACoB, A History of Mennonites in Ukraine, Big Question Responses, and more. Read it online at the above link or contact the office for a paper copy.
#BlessedBreak | New devotion! http://bit.ly/BlessedBreak26
Our latest video devotional is inspired by yesterday's Big Sunday School. Take a break to watch the video, read the Scripture and pray.
Brethren Voices | South Sudan: On a Journey to Peace
Brethren Voices in Arlington will feature current mission work including a large health care program, recent footage from and an historical perspective of Sudan throughout September. Tune in Sundays at 6:30 pm or Wednesdays at 11 am on Comcast, 69; Verizon-FIOS, 38 or on Arlington Independent Media's live stream. Contact James with any questions.
Dunker Punks Podcast | http://bit.ly/DPP_Episode13
The latest episode, “Communitas” features Sarah Ullom-Minnich interview counselors about building the beloved community at camp and Jacob Crouse unveils a new cover of an old camp favorite. Click the above link or subscribe on iTunes.
Text Alerts | Sign up with your cell phone
Oh no! Worship must be cancelled due to the biggest blizzard in history, or maybe, we don't have any ice cream for tomorrow's ice cream social! Fortunately, should church emergencies arise, we now have a new tool for spreading information fast. Text "EZSAY19248" to 313131 and you'll be signed up for ACoB's new text alerts. We won't forget to contact folks who don't sign up, but for those who do, text alerts are the quickest way to stay in the loop with your church family. We might even text out surprise blessings or words of encouragement too!
Worship Audio | Online
Peruse the archives, ACoB sermon audio along with a selection of hymns and readings is posted online or subscribe on iTunes
Pray. Call. Write.
- Yoli, Roy + Family, Lisa's sister and Alma's daughter, upon Roy's mother's passing
- Nelson Family + Nokesville CoB, mourning the loss of Kay Nelson from a very rapidly developing cancer
- Gary, travelling to Russia and Ukraine (9/21-10/3), TourMagination feels secure that all areas of the tour are safe for travel. Let us also pray for folks caught in the middle of the conflict between Russia and Ukraine and for success at ongoing peace talks in Minsk.
- Pastor Mike, continuing to deal with liver failure and awaiting transplant
- Pastor Pat, recovering from a broken arm
- Briana + Alys, starting college + grad school
- Charles Tuck, Hazel's son, diagnosed with cancer throughout his body
- Minnie, palliative care at Goodwin House, Rm 248, visitors welcome
- Walkin-Haske Family, ongoing health treatments
- Jummai Paul, kidnapped Chibok girl and others
- Church of the Brethren in Nigeria (EYN)
Our role isn’t seeking or finding but being open to the one who seeks us.
Listen to Sunday's sermon here: http://bit.ly/ACoBMessage11Sept16 This sample of worship starts with a prayer, followed by a reading of Luke 15:1-10 (at 36s) and the Sermon (at 2m6s). Thanks to Ralph for serving as worship leader. The song is “Breathe on Me, Breath of God.”
We had a fun first Big Sunday School of the year, exploring Matthew 9:16-17 with lots of activities to think in new ways about God's way.
We had another great turnout of volunteers on Saturday for our Hunger Action Month event, 'Shredding for AFAC.' They served 65 cars, taking donations and directing them to the document shredding truck. Almost $700 in addition to a car full of food donations were collected and delivered to the Arlington Food Assistance Center.