"Our tears and our fears are heard by God."
- from Sunday's sermon
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 7-9pm in Fellowship Hall
• Annual Conference, Cincinnati, OH, thru 7/8
• Brethren Voices, 11am
• Neighborhood Ice Cream Social, 7:30pm, more details
• Roger's Birthday!
• Volunteer at AFAC, 8:30am
• Angela Finet preaching at Annual Conference, 6:45pm
• CAEC Prayer Service, 11:30am - 1pm in Fellowship Hall
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 5-9pm in Fellowship Hall
• Dave Johnson Preaching & Stephen leading worship, 10am
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 5-9pm in Fellowship Hall
• Brethren Voices, 6:30 pm
Tues., 7/10 - Congregational Life Ministry Team Meeting, 7pm
Fri., 7/13 - Young Adult Meet-Up, 6:30pm
Sat., 7/8-14 - Song + Story Fest, Inspiration Hills Camp, OH
Sun., 7/15 - Collecting Metro + Target cards for OAR in Worship
Sun., 7/22 - Bag Lunches for ASPAN, 11am in fellowship hall
Thurs., 7/26 - Breakfast Bunch, 8am
Thurs., 7/26 - Community Choir Resumes, 7:30pm at AFUMC
Sun., 7/29 - Refreshments after worship, 11am in library
Mon., 7/30 - Executive Committee Meeting, 7:30pm
Sun., 8/5 - Community Worship at Bethel UCC, 10am
Mon., 8/6 - Church Board Meeting, 7:30pm
Sun., 8/12 - Community Worship at ACOB, 10am
Sun., 8/19 - Community Worship at AFUMC, 10am
Sun., 8/26 - Community Worship at Lubber Run, 10am
E-Bulletin | For the Week of July 8
Suzanne and Dana are both at Annual Conference this week and Sunday's paper bulletin has already been printed. If you have news or prayer requests for next week's e-bulletin, please email the office. Look for that edition on Tuesday next week. Contact Suzanne with any questions.
Invitation | Contact Pastor Christy
Have you been thinking about formally becoming a member of Arlington Church of the Brethren? Would you like to talk about your discernment or process your own journey? Pastor Christy would appreciate having a conversation with you. Feel free to let her know. Contact her by email (email@example.com) or phone call/text (814 599-6307) to schedule an appointment.
Neighborhood Ice Cream Social | Wed., July 4, 7:30-9:45 pm
The tradition continues, sharing ice cream with the Boulevard Manor neighborhood as we wait to see the fireworks above the national mall from the church yard. Please bring a lawn chair, blanket, or bug spray as needed. Ice cream and water will be provided. Personal fireworks and alcohol are not allowed. The national fireworks usually begin around 9:15 pm. Contact the office with questions.
Reeves Farmhouse | BMCA Supports Habitat for Humanity Project
At Boulevard Manor’s civic association meeting on Monday night, the neighborhood unanimously voted approval of support for Habitat for Humanity to move forward with Arlington County to convert the existing Reevesland structure into a home for adults with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities. Contact the office if you’re interested in more details on this exciting development for our neighborhood.
Mid-Atlantic District | Non-Pastoral Job Openings
Frederick COB is seeking a part-time Worship Coordinator, Westminster COB a Community Spirit Coordinator and the Brethren Service Center has summer openings in the warehouse. Please spread the word and contact the office for more details.
Advocate, Volunteer + Give.
Help Paint | This Wed., Thurs., + Fri.
Warren and Mark will be painting the kitchen hallway at the end of the week. Please contact Warren if you can help lighten the workload.
Gift Cards for OAR | Sun., July 15 during worship
Support Offender Aid and Restoration (OAR) by participating in the Service Ministry Team effort to collect gift cards for neighbors recently released from prison. $20 Metro SmarTrip Cards and $25 Target gift cards will help them get to job interviews and buy needed clothing and household items. Instead of cereal, the third Sunday of July the children will collect your donations, including any cash to purchase additional cards (AFAC cereal collection is still ongoing in the box in the office hallway). Contact Marcia with any questions or to donate earlier.
Thank You! | Lemonade Stand Total
A big thanks to everyone who supported the childrens' lemonade stand last week! Lily, Elijah, Marina and Marylynne hosted on behalf of Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation, offering cookies and lemonade for donations to pediatric cancer research. Together we raised $143 for research to find better treatments and cures for childhood cancer and helped provide needed hope for kids and their families. If you weren't here but would like to contribute, you can still donate online: http://bit.ly/ACOB4ALSF. Thank you for your support!
* Do you care about ways to serve and participate in our community and through our denomination? Sign-up for and commit to reading regular updates from organizations that interest you, then notify Suzanne in the office about the events and projects you want shared on ACOB's calendar.
New! Blessed Break | http://bit.ly/BlessedBreak98
The latest #BlessedBreak features Annual Conference Moderator Samuel Sarpiya reflecting on this year's theme: Living Parables
Pray. Call. Write.
- Families Separated at the Border, and for continued advocacy until they are reunited and safe
- Folks at Annual Conference, Nancy, Alma, Lisa, Everett, Suzanne, Marylynne + Maple are in Cincinnati with Brethren from across the country from Wednesday thru Sunday
- Lily, on her first overnight to Shepherd’s Spring this week
- McGavin Family, grieving the death of their teenage son, Raymond, a former student of Lisa’s
- Ethiopia, in the wake of the violent attack at a rally, that it won’t bring about a new wave of violence or derail the work of reconciling various ethnic groups
- Jacque, started chemotherapy last week
- John, Dale's brother, recovering from mitro valve repair
- Sharon, Marcia's friend + ACOB service volunteer, recovering from gall bladder surgery
- Anna May and Mike, friends of Donna, Anna May's husband, Eugene, died of severe burns.
- Graduates, celebrating the season of new possibilities
- People who are Hungry, as we remember the Global Day of Prayer to End Famine
- Nate and Jenn Hosler, pastors of the Washington City CoB, on the birth of their son, Ayuba
- Vernon Miller's Family, honoring his good long life after peacefully passing following a couple bouts of pneumonia. Vernon pastored the Arlington congregation from 1969-1978
- Bethel UCC, preparing to leave their building in the fall
- Carole, in positive spirits, calls and visits while she is still at the rehab facility are appreciated, 703-867-1952
- Chuck Norton, Bethel UCC, undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer
- Church of the Brethren in Nigeria (EYN), including 113 girls still captive
Keep in your ongoing prayers: Steve Shuss, Minnie Simmons, Carolyn Studds
* Prayer concerns will ordinarily be listed for four weeks. If you would like one to be kept on or added back in, please let the office know. Names in bold are new to the list or updated this week.
Listen to Sunday's Sermon here: http://bit.ly/ACOBMessage70118
A sermon on Jesus’ healing presence and God’s ability to hear and hold all our grief.