Loving God, grant us the ability to use the talents we have been given to work in collaboration with others to change unjust systems, to persist in the face of challenges, to hope in the face of despair. Keep us focused on the bigger picture and remind us that your grace is working in us and through us to bring about your vision of the reign of God.
- from yesterday's Pastoral Prayer
• Executive Committee Meeting, 7:30pm
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 7-9 pm
• Brethren Voices, 11am, more details
• NO Handbell Choir Rehearsal
Fri., 11/10 - Simple Living Weekend, at Brethren Woods, more details
Wed., 11/22 - Community Thanksgiving Service at ACoB, 7pm
Simplify: A Simple Living Weekend | November 10-11, Brethren Woods Camp
Simple Living has been a core Brethren value since our earliest days as a denomination. But what does it mean to live simply in a busy, modern, 21st century world? What does it mean for us, for our relationship with God, and for the Earth? Join inspiring practitioners and experts on simple living as they offer practical, engaging, and hands-on workshops and experiences to help us consider what simple living looks like for us today. We’ll have opportunities for worship, fellowship, and great food. More information here.
More Details | arlingtoncob.org/calendar
For more information on neighboring church, denomination and non-profit events listed, check the calendar at the above link or contact the office.
Advocate, Volunteer + Give.
Soup and Pie Bazaar | November 4, 9am - 2pm
Pitch in for our annual festival and fundraiser. Plan now to make soup and pie or to volunteer in the kitchen. Pull from storage your white elephant donations. Craft items and baked goods will be needed. Flyers are available in the Narthex. If you would like a flyer emailed to you for electronic distribution, please see Shelley D. or email the office at email@example.com.
#Faith4Dream Week | October 29-November 4
Join the interfaith effort to advocate for the Dream Act (S. 1615/HR 3440) as a way of loving our neighbors. Call, write, tweet or visit your representatives. More information, including scripts, talking points and other resources from the Interfaith Immigration Coalition can be found here.
New Episode! Dunker Punks Podcast | http://bit.ly/churchtoo
As a hashtag around the conversation of sexual assault circulates, Dunker Punks Podcast finds a voice in it. In this episode, Jen Jensen and Emmy Goering create a conversation about sexual violence and challenge the church to take a role in rejecting rape culture. Type in the case sensitive url to listen on the showpage or subscribe on iTunes. Listen by clicking the above link or subscribing on iTunes.
Worship Audio | Online
Listen again to this week's sermon, catch a sermon from a Sunday you were out or peruse the archives. Each Sunday message along with a selection of hymns and readings is posted online or subscribe on iTunes.
New! Brethren Voices | Brethren Peace Message Captivates Venezuela, Spain, Rwanda
Brethren Voices is the TV show featuring what Brethren do as a matter of our faith. The episode for November features Jay Wittmeyer, Executive Director of Global Mission and Service for the Church of the Brethren. Watch online now! Watch in Arlington on Comcast 69/Verizon-FIOS 38 on Sundays at 6:30 pm, Wednesdays at 11 am.
New! #BlessedBreak | http://bit.ly/BlessedBreak72
This week’s video is from last year’s Soup & Pie Bazaar. Our big event for 2017 is on Saturday, November 4 from 9am-2pm. Join us!
Pray. Call. Write.
- John Dettra, physical therapy for his back
- Alma, following the passing of her sister, Edna
- Judy, Alma's neice, following the death of her mother a week before her wedding
- Hermella, Amy's neighbor, an 11 year old with seizures
- Charles Tuck, Hazel's son, with brain cancer
- The Weimer Family, following the loss of Nancy's mother, Charlotte
- Victims of California wildfires, in the wake of lost homes and family members
- Mrs. Shawn Hiepson, healing breast cancer
- Jim Wilson, Jo Ann's brother, improving following bypass surgery
- Steven Maxwell, Ralph's brother, for his move
- Theresa M., entering hospice care
- Dee and family, following her mother's death
- Birgitta D. and daughter Sophia
- Carole C. , continuing health recovery
- Hurricane Harvey and Irma storm refugees and victims
- Church of the Brethren in Nigeria (EYN), including 113 girls still captive
Keep in your ongoing prayers: Erin Julca, Steve Shuss, Minnie Simmons, Carolyn Studds
Note: Prayer concerns will ordinarily be listed for four weeks. If you would like one to be kept on or added back in, please let the office know. Names in bold are new to the list or updated this week.
God doesn't call the equipped; God equips the called! Listen as Pastor Nancy shares glimpses of what Ephesians calls equipping the saints for the incredible task of making and living in diverse Christian community.
ACoB and Bethel UCC at Saturday's CROP Walk:
This flyer is available from the office to share about this week's Soup & Pie Bazaar!