"What is at stake in this growing racial conflict? Apart from the restoration of human dignity and worth, and the need for bringing relief to those who have suffered long and patiently at the hand of injustice, nothing less than the integrity of the church itself is at stake. The world, and more specifically, the [African American] communities, have grown weary of the church's lofty pronouncements and pious platitudes. They await our answer today. They want to see, to feel, and to taste of the redemptive love of Christ."
Tom Wilson, Annual Conference 1963
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 7-9 pm
• Brethren Voices, 11 am, more details
• Yoga, 5:45 pm in fellowship hall
• Young Adult DC Gathering, 6:30 pm, more details
• Handbell Choir Practice, 7 pm
• Breakfast Bunch, 8 am, Pancake House (7395 Lee Hwy)
• Centering Prayer, 4-5 pm in library, more details
• Kaizen Karate, 6:30 pm in fellowship hall
• Community Choir Practice, 7:30 pm at AFUMC
• Yoga, 9-10 am in fellowship hall
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 5-9 pm
• Environmental Concerns Sunday School, 9:45 am
• Brethren Voices, 6:30 pm, more details
Wed., March 1 - Hunger Buffet Mission Meal, Shepherd's Spring
Sat., March 4 - Volunteer at AFAC, 8:30 am
Sun., March 5 - Joint Worship at AFUMC, 10 am, more details
Sun., March 5 - MAD Lenten Service Series, 6:45 pm, Bush Creek COB
Wed., March 8 - Lenten Quiet Day, Shepherd's Spring
Wed., March 8 - Doorways Donor Appreciation Event, 6:30 pm
Fri., March 10 - ACOB Young Adults Gathring, 6:30 pm
Sun., March 12 - Race Sunday School Class, 9:45 am *Note changed date
Sun., March 12 - Community Choir Singing during Worship, 11 am
Sun., March 12 - MAD Lenten Service Series, 6:45 pm, Meadow Branch COB
Sun., March 16 - Bethany Seminary Forum on Creation Care, thru 3/19
Thurs., March 16 - AFAC Fundraiser: A Light Exists in Spring
Fri., March 17 - New Windsor Days, thru 3/19
Fri., March 17 - Poetry as Prayer Workshop, Shepherd's Spring
Sat., March 18 - Art for Worship, Susquehanna Valley Ministry Center
Sun., March 19 - MAD Lenten Service Series, 6:45 pm, Piney Creek COB
Mon., March 20 - EMU STAR Training, Lancaster, PA, thru 3/24
Fri.-Sat., March 24 - 25 - All Church Retreat, at Shepherd's Spring
Sun., March 26 - MAD Lenten Service Series, 6:45 pm, Union Bridge COB
Fri., March 31 - Roundtable, Bridgewater College, thru 4/2
Mon., April 3 - Board Meeting, 7:30 pm
Sat., April 8 - Dinner for MAD Disaster Relief, Bush Creek COB
Centering Prayer | This Thurs., Feb. 23, 4 pm
Join in the library for a meditative time of silence, concluding with scripture. Likely to be around 40 minutes in total. All are welcome. Contact Pastor Nancy with questions.
Worship at AFUMC | Sun., March 5, 10 am
The week after next we will join with the Arlington Forest congregation for worship at their church to enjoy music from their special children’s choir guest. Please note the earlier worship time at 10 am and that there will be no Sunday School that week. Contact Pastor Nancy with questions.
Decals | No matter where you are from, we’re glad you’re our neighbor
Immanuel Mennonite in Harrisonburg, VA posted a literal sign of welcoming love that has inspired thousands across the country. ACOB is making some available in our neighborhoods too. Only decals are left. Note that they include ACOB’s address! They are $2 each. Please reimburse Cindy directly who picked them up from Ayuda, a metro area immigrant aid organization.
New Office Hours | Thursday Morning, 9:30 am-12:30 pm
Church office hours on Wednesday evening have moved to Thursday morning. A big thanks to Alma for making this possible by generously offering to care for Marylynne at this time!
More Details | arlingtoncob.org/calendar
For more information on neighboring church, denomination and non-profit events listed, check the calendar at the above link or contact the office.
Volunteer + Give.
Donate Playing Cards | Teaching in Haiti
Carole Compton has a friend who teaches children math using playing cards. She's preparing to teach in Haiti and could use additional decks of cards in any condition to take with her. Contact Carole to donate.
Food Drives | Donation Bins in Office Hallway
Keep the ongoing food collections in mind on your regular grocery shopping trips. Throughout the year, we collect whole grain, low sugar cereals to donate for distribution to families served at AFAC. Throughout the winter, we are continuing to support families of our building partner congregation, IRPE, who have been laid off from seasonal jobs like construction with non-perishables like cereal, beans, rice, and canned goods. Donate in the bins by the window in the office hallway. Contact the office with any questions.
Dunker Punks Podcast | New episode! http://bit.ly/DPP_Episode25
Laura Weimer is featured in the latest episode interviewing folks from our local Doorways shelter. Hear how people navigate out of domestic violence and homelessness and how we can walk with them. Listen by clicking the above link or subscribing on iTunes.
Brethren Voices is the TV show featuring what Brethren do as a matter of our faith. February features our very own ministries here at ACOB! In this first episode of two, Pastor Nancy is interviewed about the creative ways she leads us being church and in community. Watch in Arlington on Comcast 69/Verizon-FIOS 38 on Sundays at 6:30 pm, Wednesdays at 11 am or online anytime.
Worship Audio | Online
Brethren Voices | ACOB's Ministries
Listen again to this week's sermon, catch a sermon from a Sunday you were out or peruse the archives. Each Sunday message along with a selection of hymns and readings is posted online or subscribe on iTunes.
#BlessedBreak | New Devotion! http://bit.ly/BlessedBreak43
The latest video devotional is a prayer for Black History Month in February. Watch the video and read the accompanying scripture and prayer at the above link.
Pray. Call. Write.
- Paul White, friend of Carole Compton, preparing for brain surgery
- Roger Cubbage, home from the hospital after treatment for sodium deficiency
- Ralph, in room 215 at Manor Care on Carlin Springs until 2/22 recovering from surgery for broken hip
- Linda, Suzanne's mom, home from the hospital
- Erica Whitaker, Elaine's great niece, recovering from recent surgery after multiple serious health concerns including dialysis
- Charlotte, Amy's mom, anticipating surgery on 3/13 for a brain aneurysm
- Hubert Wright's Family + Friends, Shelley's grandfather and best friend who passed suddenly from pneumonia
- Hazel, moving to Woodbridge
- Jo Ann, starting a new health regime after recent procedure
- Safe travels, for all heading home from the Women's March including Briana and her friends and the Gallego family
- Jim + Jeannie Payne, friends of Robyn, Jim is facing heart health challenges
- Orin, seeking housing and employment in Arlington
- Anabaptist Meeting in Buenos Aires, check out the latest activity on Facebook to pray for a positive and lasting impact
- Walkin-Haske Family, cotinued health improvments and ongoing health treatments
- Marion, a year recovered and doing well after brain aneurysm
- Pastor Mike, continuing to deal with liver failure and awaiting transplant
- Jummai Paul, kidnapped Chibok girl and 195 others
- Church of the Brethren in Nigeria (EYN)
Keep in your ongoing prayers: Minnie Simmons, Dorothy Fravel (Dee’s mom), Theresa McCary, Erin Julca, Steve Shuss, Elizabeth Smucker, Carolyn Studds
Note: Prayer concerns will ordinarily be listed for four weeks. If you would like one to be kept on or added back in, please let the office know. Names in bold are new to the list or updated this week.