How does recognizing the voice of Jesus shape the life of this church? How does that voice keep us together and guide and sustain? How is God calling Arlington Church today?
- from Sunday's sermon
• Executive Committee Meeting, 7:30pm in the library
• Office Hours, 3:30-5:30pm
• 8th Annual Peace Feast, 6:30pm at Linville COB
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 7-9pm in Fellowship Hall
• Office Hours, 9:30-11:30am
• Brethren Voices, 11am, more details
• Office Hours, 3-5pm
• Kaizen Karate, 6:30-8:30pm in Fellowship Hall
• Community Choir Practice, 7:30pm at AFUMC
• AFAC Service Saturday, 8:30am, more details
• Disaster Response Auction, 9am in Westminster, more details
• CAEC Prayer Service, 11:30 am in fellowship hall
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 5-9pm in Fellowship Hall
• Bethel Worship (1 of 2 trials), 9:30am in sanctuary
• Sunday School, 9:30 am, more details
• Worship, 11 am in Sanctuary
• Refreshments with Bethel UCC, 10:30am in the fellowship hall, more details
• Office Hours, 12 - 3pm
• Pastoral Search Committee Meeting, following worship
• Cambodian Alliance Evangelical Church, 1-4pm in Sanctuary + Fellowship Hall I
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 5-9pm in Fellowship Hall
• Brethren Voices, 6:30 pm, more details
Fri., 5/11 - ACOB Young Adults Gathering, 6:30pm
Sat., 5/12 - Camp Mardela Auction + Flea Market
Sat., 5/12 - Shepherd's Spring Workday, 1 of 2
Sun., 5/13 - Mother's Day
Mon., 5/14 - Special Church Board Meeting, 7:30pm in library
Wed., 5/16 - Church Planting Conference, thru 5/19 at Bethany
Wed., 5/16 - Pastoral Search Commitee Meeting, 7:30pm in the library
Sat., 5/19 - Shepherd's Spring Workday, 2 of 2
Thurs., 5/24 - Breakfast Bunch, 8am
Sun., 6/3 - AFAC Volunteer Picnic, 5pm
Mon., 6/4 - Church Board Meeting, 7:30pm in library
Sun., 6/10 - Bethel Worship (2 of 2 trials), 9:30am in sanctuary
Sun., 6/10 - Unity Worship with IRPE + CAEC, 11am
Sun., 6/17 - Father's Day
Sun., 6/17 - Worship, 10am
Wed., 7/4-7/8 - Annual Conference, Cincinnati, OH
Earlier Sunday School with Bethel | Next Sun. May 6, 9:30 am
Refreshments with Bethel | Next Sun. May 6, 10:30 am
All children are invited to gather for a first Sunday School class with our Bethel UCC partners as they try out worship in our building. Bethel UCC normally holds their Sunday School during worship, which is held at the same time as ACOB's before-worship classes, only starting 15 minutes earlier at 9:30 am. Both Ms. Alma from ACOB and Ms. Judy from Bethel will teach together that day and help our children get to know each other. In the future, the classes will be split by age. Following Sunday School there will be a time of refreshments with the Bethel congregation, at 10:30 am, after their service but before ours. Contact Alma with any questions.
Search Committee | At Work, Input + Questions Welcome
Consolidated Reports | Coming Soon!
The search committee to find our permanent pastor has been called from the congregation. Participants have committed to take on this task for us and have already started their work. The committee includes Amy, Debbie who is chairing, Everett, James, Karolina, Lisa, and Nancy W. Contact any of them with questions about the process, their progress or your hopes for our next pastor.
In lieu of a new version of the Big Bulletin newsletter, a synthesis of the latest reports will be distributed regularly on an as needed basis. Highlights from the latest church board meeting, donation and fundraising totals and other accounts of recent church work will be collected and regularly distributed upon reaching critical mass. A big thanks to Jo Ann for taking on this new periodical as part of her role as Clerk on the church board. Please send reports and questions her way.
Advocate, Volunteer + Give.
MAD Disaster Response Auction | Sat., May 5, 9 am in Westminster, MD
This is the 38th year the Mid-Atlantic District of our denomination will rally our local faith community through the annual Disaster Response Auction to make a difference for our wider communities recovering from disasters. ACOB supports the auction by purchasing ad space in the auction booklet and many folks in our church individually donate and attend. Contact the office for more details abou the event and Nancy W. if you'd like to carpool.
Volunteer at AFAC| Sat., May 5, 8:30 am
ACOB regularly volunteers as a community, distributing food to folks in need. Many who faithfully show up will be attending the district disaster auction, so this is a great time to give volunteering a try if have yet to or its been a while. Contact Diane with any questions.
* Do you care about ways to serve and participate in our community and through our denomination? Sign-up for and commit to reading regular updates from organizations that interest you, then notify Suzanne in the office about the events and projects you want shared on ACOB's calendar.
Dunker Punks Podcast | New! Interns for Peace
On Earth Peace Youth and Young Adult Assistant Kiana Simonson, brings together three OEP interns to discuss their roles with the organization. Listen as the four share their thoughts on finding common ground across a variety of issues including gender, racial and LGBT justice. http://bit.ly/DPP_Episode56
Pray. Call. Write.
Jacque + John, anticipating serious surgery and treatments in the near future
Eugene, Donna's high school friend, receiving treatment for burns after a farm accident
- Stephen, Ralph's brother, a joy to have him join us for worship as we continue to pray for him grieving the loss of his wife
- Birgitta + Sophia, wrapping up a challenging school year
- Silena's dad, looking forward to celebrating his 95th birthday in mid-May
- Cindy + her Parents, traveling to Roanoke to help as her stepfather, diagnosed with pre-dementia, is closing his business
- Tom, Sue's boss, enduring painful recovery from cancer treatment
- Walt Hibbard’s family, Josh’s grandfather, celebrating his 98 years after peacefully passing on Thursday
- Pastor Nancy, recovering from successful knee surgery
- Barb Wright, Shelley's aunt, in ICU with possible stomach virus
- Hazel, A joy to worship with Hazel and her some of her family after being hospitalized last week
- Karolina, transitioning between homes and navigating very complicated logistics
Maria, Mario + Family, grieving the loss of Maria's father and unable to travel to Guatemala for the funeral
- Carole, continuing to heal and adjust after surgery at a new rehab facility, Calls and visits are appreciated, 703-867-1952
- Ruby, Lisa's student, recovering from brain surgery
- Ron, friend of Sue, recovering from a successful tumor surgery after much time living with pain, and anticipating continued treatments
- Karen, Marsha’s cousin, recovering from surgery
- Chuck Norton, Bethel UCC, undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer
- Church of the Brethren in Nigeria (EYN), including 113 girls still captive
Keep in your ongoing prayers: Steve Shuss, Minnie Simmons, Carolyn Studds
* Prayer concerns will ordinarily be listed for four weeks. If you would like one to be kept on or added back in, please let the office know. Names in bold are new to the list or updated this week.
Listen to Sunday's Sermon here: http://bit.ly/ACOBMessage42918
A sermon on the Good Shepherd, and the importance of listening for God’s voice as we plan for the future.