The Spirit is with us, just as Jesus promised. God's Spirit moves among us and gathers us together. God's Spirit gives us power and calls us to serve the world.
From the Call to Worship at Saturday's Mid-Atlantic District Conference
• Shepherd's Spring Quiet Day, 9:30 am - 3 pm
• Boulevard Manor Civic Assoc., 7-9 pm in fellowship hall
• Just Peace Webinar on Rome Nonviolence Conference, 9 am, more details
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 7-9 pm
• Brethren Voices, 11 am, more details
• Yoga, 5:45 pm, more details
• Handbell Choir Practice, 7 pm
• Worship Team Meeting, 3-4 pm
• Kaizen Karate, 6:45 - 7:45 pm
• Community Vocal Choir Practice, 7:30 pm at AFUMC
• ACoB Young Adults Gathering, 6:30 pm
• 12 Baskets + A Goat Fundraiser for Heifer, 3:30 pm at Frederick CoB
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 5-9 pm
• Big Sunday School, *New Date, 9:45 am
• Brethren Voices, 6:30 pm, more details
Sun., Oct. 16 - Harmony + Hope Fall Concert, 7 pm, Bridgewater CoB
Sat., Oct. 22 - CROP Walk, more details
Sat., Oct. 22 - Clarendon UMC Bazaar + Pig Roast CROP Walk Benefit, noon
Sat., Oct. 22 - Pumpkin Party, 4 pm, Oakton CoB
Sun., Oct. 23 - Wear Purple, more details
Sun., Oct. 23 - Let's Get Ready to Welcome, 12:15 - 1 pm, more details
Sun., Oct. 23 - Music Festival w/ Grossnickle CoB, 3 pm, Wolfsvill Park
Sun., Oct. 23 - Oakton CoB Community Concert, 4 pm
Mon., Oct. 24 - Executive Committee Meeting, 7:30 pm
Thurs., Oct. 27 - Breakfast Bunch, 8 am
Sat., Oct. 29 - Fall Church Work Day, 9 am - noon
Sun., Oct. 30 - Brief Deacon Meeting, noon
Sun., Oct. 30 - AFUMC Fall Festival, 11:30 - 3 pm
Sun., Oct. 30 - The Politics of Anabaptism, 4 pm in Harrisonburg
Sat., Nov. 5 - Soup + Pie Bazaar, 9 am - 2 pm, more details
Sat., Nov. 5 - Shepherd's Spring 25th Anniversary Campfire, 4 pm
Wed., Nov. 9 - ACoB Young Adults Gathering, 6:30 pm *New Date
Let’s Get Ready to Welcome | Sun., Oct. 23, 12:45 – 1 pm
Calling all greeters for a fun and brief training session to help us fine tune our welcome. Come enjoy skits and light refreshments in the fellowship hall. This event is for everyone, because we are all hosts to others who are new to our church. Contact Robyn with questions.
Purple Out | Wear Purple, Sun., Oct. 23
October is National Domestic Violence Awareness month and we are partnering with Doorways to help spread the word. Wear purple for a congregation picture that we will send in to support their local awareness campaign. Contact Suzanne with questions.
Beginner Yoga | Wednesdays, 5:45 pm
Join others in the fellowship hall for simple, gentle beginner yoga, especially designed to include folks 55+. $9.00 per session. The 6 week session just began. Contact Pastor Nancy with questions.
Summer Worship Survey | Take 2-3 Minutes to Share Your Thoughts
Follow this link to answer 10 questions about your experience of our summer ecumenical community worship: http://bit.ly/SummerWorshipSurvey
More Details | arlingtoncob.org/calendar
Many of our neighboring churches and organizations are hosting events throughout the fall. See an upcoming event you’re interested in or want to learn more about? Follow the above link to get the details from our online calendar.
CROP Walk | Sat., Oct. 22, 9 am
This 5K/10K walk is part of a nationwide network of Hunger Walks sponsored by Church World Service to raise money for hunger relief both locally and abroad. Donate and/or sign up to walk: bit.ly/2016CROPWalkACOB. Contact Marcia with questions.
Soup + Pie Bazaar | Sat., Nov. 5, 9 am – 2pm
Our annual fall festival and fundraiser is on the way. Sign up in the narthex to make soup and pie. Contact Sue with craft donations. Consider making something for the bake sale. Share the below flyer with neighbors and post throughout the community. Click here for a pdf flyer to print or email and feel free to contact the office for printed copies to post and distribute. Stay tuned for more volunteer needs.
#BlessedBreak | New devotion! http://bit.ly/BlessedBreak28
Our latest video devotional is inspired by yard work on the church property, bringing down trees rotted at their roots. Click through to see the video, scripture and prayer.
Dunker Punks Podcast | New episode! http://bit.ly/DPP_Episode15
The latest episode, “Gender is a galaxy” features Dylan Dell-Haro talking about gender and being the people God created us to be. Listen by clicking the above link or subscribing on iTunes.
Brethren Voices | Caring for the Earth
Brethren Voices in Arlington features an interview with David Radcliffe on caring for our earth throughout October. Tune in Sundays at 6:30 pm or Wednesdays at 11 am on Comcast, 69; Verizon-FIOS, 38 or on Arlington Independent Media's live stream. Contact James with any questions.
Worship Audio | Online
Listen again to this week's sermon, catch a sermon from a Sunday you were out or peruse the archives. Each Sunday message along with a selection of hymns and readings is posted online or subscribe on iTunes.
Pray. Call. Write. Give.
- All affected by Hurricane Matthew, consider donating to Brethen Disaster Ministries respone in Haiti here.
- Eliana, Ralph's friend, undergoing surgery for a hip replacement
- Denise, Lisa's co-worker, Denise's father is preparing for hospice care
- Marina, Mark + Wes, adjusting to ongoing health treatments for Marina
- Ed Varner and family, following death of Vivian
- Pastor Mike, continuing to deal with liver failure and awaiting transplant
- Charles Tuck, Hazel's son, diagnosed with cancer throughout his body
- Minnie, palliative care at Goodwin House, Rm 248, visitors welcome
- Walkin-Haske Family, ongoing health treatments
- Jummai Paul, kidnapped Chibok girl and others
- Church of the Brethren in Nigeria (EYN)
In the healing of the lepers in Luke 17, Jesus tells the Samaritan his faith has healed him. So, did he save himself? When we faithfully pray for healing it’s not always answered in the way we expect. Still, we are called to imagine our own healing and wholeness. The human response to God’s mercy–what God did and is doing in Jesus–demands our faith, praise and gratitude. Faith saves not because humans do, but because God is.
Listen to yesterday's sermon, including our community choir's beautiful singing at the end: http://bit.ly/ACoBMessage2Oct16
On Saturday, Jo Ann, Everett, Pastor Nancy and Suzanne attended the 50th annual Mid-Atlantic District Conference in Easton, MD.