March 12, 2014
Dear Bobcat Nation,
I hope that you will join our PTSA-sponsored Raising Teens in the 21st Century
on Wednesday, March 19, at 6:30 p.m. This event is free of charge and will take place in our cafeteria. Parenting expert, Fred Becker, will include will present an informative seminar covering the biggest issues facing parents today when raising their teens:
- How to stay out of power struggles
- How to make your child responsible and self-reliant
- How to stop entitlement
- How to get your child motivated
- How to be more positive
- How to do less work and have your child do more
J. César Morales
Sage Creek High School
News from Counseling
In the month of March the Counseling Department invites all families to increase your electronic connection to Sage Creek through Aeries Portal and Naviance and to guide your students’ course requests for 10th grade.
: Yesterday all students were given a letter to take home describing how to create an account with Aeries, our student data system. You will be using this account to submit online 10th grade course requests. If after checking with your student you did not receive this letter, please contact Vicki Ruby, Registrar.
: For parents who were unable to attend one of the Naviance Parent Workshops, a video on how to create your account is now available. Click on the Counseling tab in the menu bar of our homepage and click on Naviance. Coming soon are more videos that will introduce you to the features of Naviance.
10th Grade Course Selections
: Mr. Brown, counselor, will meet with all 9th graders during the week of March 17th to instruct them on requesting 10th grade courses.
Bobcat Den Tutoring after School
Tutoring By Credentialed Teachers
Available In the Sage Creek High School Library
Click here for schedule
New School Funding Town Hall Forums March 13 & 25
CUSD Superintendent and School Board Members will present information related to the new funding and accountability model for California public schools:
- Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF)
- Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP)
Please join our Superintendent and School Board on:
Click here to download the event flyer
- Thursday, March 13 fm 6:30-8 p.m. at Sage Creek HS Gym
- Tuesday, March 25 fm 6:30-8 p.m. at Valley Middle School Multi-Purpose Room (Spanish Translation provided), 1645 Magnolia Ave, Carlsbad Ca 92008.
or for more detailed information go to: www.carlsbadusd.k12.ca.us/lcap
Teen Tech Week @ Sage Creek Library - through March 14
An innovative student-run event in the library at lunchtime that showcases how we use technology in our learning at Sage Creek
Thu., March 13: Explore Google Glasses & Programming demonstration
Fri., March 14: Robotics Club Demonstration & drawing for eBook checkouts
SCHS Students were Invited to Participate in California Youth in Theatre Day
Theatre teacher Judi Stapleton, presented ninth grade students: Michael Townzen, Viradis Panter, Kara Kirkpatrick and Skyler Beckett, who performed a scene from the film Forrest Gump, Screenplay by Eric Roth at CA Youth in Theater Day. Viradis, Mike, Kara and Skyler received fifth place at the Drama Teachers’ Association of Southern California Festival on November 2, 2013.
College Preparation & Admissions Seminar
Representatives & alumni from UCSD, CSUSM, USD, MiraCosta College and "It’s Academic Tutoring Center and SAT Academy"
will present insider information on:
- Admission Criteria
- The Application Process: What it entails - deadlines - review process
- Eligibility vs Selection
- SAT or ACT
- AP or Not AP
- Impacted campuses or majors
- Transfer (and Honors Program)
- BA/ AA degree
- Certification (career training)
- Math and English Placement tests
- and more!
- St. Patricks Day spirit day and grams sold the previous week will be delivered by a wee leprechaun.
- ASB and Link Crew students have been working on service learning programs & have been given an amazing opportunity to go to We Day in Oakland on March 26th, with a grant that they received for transportation.
- All Clubs welcome to participate in Club Carnival on March 19 during Advisory period. This event will promote clubs and allow clubs to make money while building a strong club foundation on campus.
Congratulations to Students Winning Arts Awards
SCHS students, Fabiola Sanchez and Grace McGuire, won awards for their Art at the 9th District Level of competition for the PTSA Reflections Art Contest!
The Carlsbad Unified School District Board of Trustees will honor these students at their Board Meeting on Wednesday, April 23, 2014.
Letter from our PTSA President
Please click here
to read the March letter from Mrs. Eddie Buscher, PTSA President. An archive of past messages is also available at
SDSU Science & Engineering "Sampler" March 15
On Saturday, March 15, 9am to 2pm, The College of Sciences and College of Engineering at San Diego State University opens their doors to K-12 students, families, and the community to showcase interactive experiments and exhibits such as: telescopes, planetarium showings, laser demonstrations, Electron Microscope Facility, making ice cream using liquid nitrogen, and much more!
The event and parking are free. No registration required. Go to www.sci.sdsu.edu/sampler
Nominees for Officers of the 2014-2015 PTSA Executive Board at Sage Creek HS
President: Eddie Buscher
Membership VP: Brenda Beckett
Communications VP: Liz Lichtenberger
Programs VP: Mary Ellen Reulein
Ways & Means VP: Christine Ryan
Secretary: Alyssa Trask
Treasurer: Moira Jones
Auditor: Beth Nelson
Historian: Nora George
Parliamentarian: Risa Sybrandy
*Elections will be held at the April 2, 2014 PTSA General Assembly Meeting at 6:00 p.m. in the SCHS Cafeteria. All PTSA members are encouraged to attend.