We're all braving the winter weather together. When you're not shoveling the driveway, slipping on the sidewalk, or avoiding a snowy collision, we hope you'll find time to join us for one of the training events we've put together for you. Our Fall training events were extremely successful. Let's make our Winter events even better.
In this newsletter, you'll find a round up of our coming events, as well as those provided by the IIA Canada and the IIA. We've also included links to some of our favorite recent articles from the profession, including one about the future. Time travel with us!
I would like to once again congratulate Archie Thomas on his nomination to the IIA's Global Board of Directors; further details can be found in this newsletter. A few very special events that are coming up in our Chapter calendar:
- In May 2014, we'll hold our One Day Seminar. More details are coming soon.
- June 5th is our 70th Anniversary and Annual AGM dinner. Richard Chambers, the IIA’s President and CEO is our keynote speaker. Not to be missed. Mark your calendars!
- June 9th is our annual golf tournament. This year we are at St Andrew's Valley. Let's hope for great weather and to leave our hook and slice at home.
You'll notice a number of additional changes to the newsletter. These changes are based on feedback from you. These include a new competition, Quarterly Query, and an interview spot called Don't Be a Stranger. This is your first chance to submit material to these new features. We're looking forward to seeing what you have for us.
Jeff McIlravey, CFSA, CRMA,
President, IIA Toronto Chapter
What We're Hearing
Following our Fall Newsletter, we heard from a number of our members who are celebrating 70 with us.
We especially enjoyed hearing from John Alton. He became a member of the Chapter in 1976. John served as a member of the Seminars Committee for the 1980 International Conference at the Royal York Hotel, which was tremendously successful. We'd love to hear from others turning 70. Don't be shy, send us your story!
We're Going Social
Are you following the IIA on Twitter? Hear directly from our profession's acknowledged global leader.
Looking for a local voice? You can now follow the IIA Toronto Chapter on Twitter. We'll bring you Internal Audit news, tips, and information with a distinct Toronto flavour.
Our LinkedIn group is growing. It's an easy way to stay connected to, and possibly expand, your professional circle. Polish up your LinkedIn profile and join the group today.
Don't Be a Stranger!
There is a very long list of Officers,
Governors, and Committee Chairs connected to the Toronto Chapter. We're now giving you a chance to get to know us better.
In each issue, we'll feature one Officer, Governor, or Committee Chair. First up is Toronto Chapter President, Jeff McIlravey.
Got a question for Jeff? Submit it. We'll publish the interview in our next newsletter.
People on the Move
Archie ThomasCongratulations to Archie Thomas on his nomination to the IIA's Global Board of Directors, as Director at Large, Chairman of the Audit Committee for 2014/15. Archie is a Past President on Honorary Member of our Chapter.
Critical Thinking Skills for Auditors
2014 at Holiday Inn (Holiday Inn Drive, Cambridge)
Sharpen your logic and reasoning skills at this session. With better
critical and analytical thinking skills, we think you'll find auditing to be easier and more effective. Register here.
Developing and Maintaining Effective Quality Assurance and Improvement Programs
2013 at The Albany Club (91 King Street East, Toronto) Quality Assurance programs are an important requirement of all internal audit departments.
In this session, we'll review the standards and identify the key components. You'll also learn key points for getting the most from your internal/external assessments. Register now.
Introduction to ACL
March 31st to 2013 to April 1st OR
April 28th to April 29th at Deloitte (TLC-B, 221 King Street West)
If you're lacking ACL and CAATs experience, here's where to start. This is a hands-on course focused on case-studies. It's designed for auditors with minimal or no prior ACL experience.
April 7th OR May 6th
at Deloitte (TLC-B, 221 King Street West) If you're looking to sharpen your existing ACL and CAATs skills, here's an event designed just for you. You'll use ACL software throughout this interactive course.
Government Relations Committee
2013 at The Ontario Heritage Building(10 Adelaide Street East, Toronto) If you're working in the public sector, or have government clients, don't miss this series. It is specifically designed for government auditors and managers. It covers Audit Objectives, Evidence, and Findings, Program Mapping, and Performance Auditing. Contact us to take advantage of great discounts that are available if you register for more than one event!
Careers and Certifications
If you don't already have your CIA certification, what are you waiting for? Make 2014 your certification year. Here are the six easy steps to certification.
Don't miss your chance for big savings. Your member price from the Chapter is just $500, compared to the regular price of $795. Need more help? Contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 416-223-5326416-223-5326.
Looking for a new job in the new year? No problem. Look no further, we've got the right tool for you.
Create your profile and find for your best next position here.
Here are example positions we've posted just in the past month:
- Senior Internal Auditor - IT
- Senior Auditor
- Compliance Officer
- Director Internal Audit
- Manager, Internal Audit
- President - Jeff McIlravey, CFSA, CRMA
- Senior Vice President - Jim Barbour, CIA, CRMA
- Vice President Programs - Kim Munro, CIA
- Vice President Administration - Roman Kanter, CIA
- Treasurer - Ka-On Tong, CIA
- Secretary - Serena Persaud
- Beili Wong, CIA Chair of the Board - LCBO
- Mark Britt, CIA, CRMA - University of Toronto
- Neil Brown, CRMA - Deloitte
- Jacqueline Bukaluk - Scotiabank
- Susie Carnevale, CRMA - Protiviti
- David Florio, CRMA - Grant Thornton
- Peggy Gilmour, CRMA - RBC
- Charan Kumar, CIA - Collins Barrow
- Ingrid Kutter, CIA, CRMA - OSFI
- Linda Lister - E&Y
- Jodie Lobana, CIA - Lobana Consulting Group
- Tony Malfara - KPMG
- Scott Page, CIA, CCSA, CRMA - Wajax
- Craig Pattinson, CRMA - Bell Canada
- Douglas Pirie - PWC
- Mark Rodrigues, CIA,CRMA - Cara Foods
IIA Global and North America Committee
- Academic Relations - Robert Cuthbertson
- Advocacy - Tony Malfara
- Learning Solutions Committee - Scott Page, CIA, CCSA, CRMA
- Professional Issues - Archie Thomas, CIA
- 2015 International Conference Committee - Mark Britt, CIA, CRMA and Jeff McIlravey, CFSA, CRMA
- Advisory Committee - Colin Shaw, CIA, CRMA
Who's Helping - Our Sponsors
What We're Hearing
From the Profession
Look into Our Crystal Ball
In case you missed it, the December 2013 Internal Auditor magazine gave us a glimpse into our future. Here's what our profession might look like in 2020.
How's Your Moral Compass?
What's the difference between proper and permissible? The Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia recently published this timely article on Moral Risk.
Tell Us More
Here's your chance to fill up your book bag on us, with a $25 gift voucher from Chapters-Indigo. Just submit your answer to our Quarterly Query. We'll publish the winning submission in the following newsletter and send that reader the voucher.
Here's this issue's Quarterly Query
What's is best location you've been to for audit fieldwork? Tell us or, better yet, send us a photo!
Submit answers to email@example.com by March 7, 2014 for your chance to win.
Is your membership good value; great value?
Let us know what we are getting right and where we can improve.
Call us on 416-223-5326 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
IIA Canada Events
Seminar Week in TorontoJune 17-20th
2014 at Hilton (145 Richmond Street West, Toronto)
something for everyone in this year's Seminar Week! From Beginning
Auditor to Operational Auditing to COSO Updates and everything in
between. Book now for early bird rates that will save you hundreds.
National ConferenceOctober 5-8th
Registration opens soon for the 6th Annual Canadian Conference. Watch for more details.
The IIA Canada has a number of training events for you, including a couple of free webinars. Find the right event for you.
Other IIA Events
The Insider Threat is the Most Serious Threat
from 1pm to 2pm
In this webinar, you'll discover the key lessons learned from high profile examples of broken security measures. Registration
details can be found here.
CCITAGS Canadian Conference
IT Audit, Governance and Security
March 26-28th at The Westin Harbour Castle
Cyber Crime, Corporate Espionage, Insider Threats. Sounds exciting? It is!
If you are an IT auditor or would simply like to speak intelligently about today's
IT auditing issues, then register now.
of IT Audit
March 26-28th at The Westin Harbour Castle
you are new to the world of IT auditing, this session will give you a
great head start. You'll learn about IT internal control concepts,
standards, and processes.
This will give you a terrific opportunity to meet others who are embarking on the same journey as you. Here are your registration details.
International ConferenceJuly 6-9th
2014, LondonLondon Calling! This year's
conference take you to London! You'll network with more than 2,000
colleagues and connect with outstanding speakers. This year's event
focuses on global issue through a vibrant and timely program.
The IIA provides other learning opportunities. Check out the latest options.
How can Internal Audit Assist with Cyber Risk Resilience?
November 21st 2013 at The Albany Club,
This session gave us helpful information on the growing risk of cyber-attacks. Members who attended this event learned how to better communicate this risk to company executives and defend their companies from this risk.
New and Emerging Risks of Cyber Attacks and Cloud Computing
November 26th 2013 at The Albany Club,
Our South Western Ontario members got their own look at the risks of cyber-attacks. It also gave members a great opportunity to network and strengthen relationships with the IT auditor community.
Internal Audit's Critical Role in the Banking and Regulatory Environment
December 10th 2013 at The Albany Club,
KPMG Partner, Dilshad Hassen, delivered a terrific outline of how bank regulations are evolving in light of Basel III and Basel IV. It proved to be an essential session for all of our members working in the banking sector.
- Audit Committee - David Florio, CRMA
- Governance Committee - Jacqueline Bulaluk, CRMA
- Chapter Historian - Logi Kanap
- CAE Roundtable - Tony Malfara
- Academic Relations - Gordon Perry, CIA
- Advocacy Committee - Stephen Hack, CIA Canadian Conference on IT Audit, Governance and Security (CCITAGS) - Bennet Chan, Charan Kumar, CIA
- Certification - Gordon Perry, CIA
- Employment Services - Betina Airoldi, CIA, CRMA
- Government Relations - Ron Foster, CIA, CRMA
- GTA Education Series - Margaret Pacheco
- Hospitality/Golf - Alan Tsang
- Membership Services - Robert Crawford, CIA, CRMA
- Past Presidents & Honorary Members - Ron Dell’Agnese, CIA
- Newsletter & Social Media - Monique de Jong, CIA, CRMA
- South West Ontario Education Series - Herman Van Meeteren, CIA, CRMA
- Sponsorship - Geoff Rodrigues, CIA, CRMA
- Volunteer Committee - Bennet Chan
- Webmaster - Neil McIntyre
- Members of the IIA Canadian Board - Jodie Lobana, CIA
IIA Canada Committee Chairs
- Academic Relations - Colin Shaw, CIA, CRMA and Jodie Lobana, CIA
- Canadian Conference Advisory Committee - Jeff McIlravey, CFSA, CRMA
- Information Technology - Jeff McIlravey, CFSA, CRMA
- Marketing - Mark Britt, CIA, CRMA and Tony Malfara