LAWO and ABLE: Tax Time Tips

Money talks! Have you heard?

As much as $5,666 -- or more -- could be waiting for you! Did you work in 2010? You could qualify for the Earned Income Credit (EIC), even if you don’t owe income tax.

If you worked in 2010:

  • Did you have one child living with you? Did you earn less than $35,525* in 2010?
    You can get an EIC up to $3,050.

  • Did you have two children living with you? Did you earn less than $40,363*?
    You can get an EIC up to $5,036.

  • If you had no children living with you, did you earn less than $13,450*?
    You can get an EIC up to $347.

* Income limits for married workers are $5,010 higher.


Many families that earned more than $3,000 may qualify for the Child Tax Credit (CTC) refund – up to $1,000 for each qualifying child under age 17.

Making Work Pay

Many workers got the Making Work Pay Credit in 2010 in their paychecks. But if you were self-employed, or didn't earn enough to have income tax withheld, you can claim this credit on your tax return.

File Tax Return

Super Refund Saturday in Montgomery County – February 5

On Saturday, February 5, 2011, you can receive free tax preparation and filing services. Your taxes will be filed on the spot and with direct deposit, your refund check could be in your hands in 7 to 10 days. Additionally, you’ll learn about financial tools which will help you make informed financial choices.

Super Refund Saturday is scheduled from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Montgomery County Job Center, 1111 S. Edwin C Moses Blvd., Dayton, Ohio. Call (937) 913-2000 for an appointment.

Bring these items when you have your tax returns prepared:

  • Proof of identification;
  • Social Security cards and birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return;
  • Wage and earning statement(s);
  • Interest and dividend statements;
  • A copy of last year's federal and state returns, if available;
  • Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit;
  • Total paid for day care and the day care provider's tax ID.

If you miss Super Refund Saturday, you can still file your return for free by visiting a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site. For a site near you, call 1-800-906-9887 or dial 2-1-1.

Seniors may get help filing their tax returns by calling 1-888-227-7669 or visiting:

Problems filing?

The LAWO and ABLE Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) offers free legal advice or representation in federal tax matters such as IRS audits, examinations, appeals, collections and enforcement actions.

  • Contact the LITC through Legal Aid Line of Western Ohio to determine eligibility.
  • Call toll-free: (888) 534-1432 or (419) 724-0460 in Lucas County.
  • Apply online at:

Click to view this email in a browser

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please reply to this message with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or simply click on the following link: Unsubscribe

333 W. First St., Ste. 500B
Dayton, Ohio 45402

Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy.

Non-Profits Email Free with VerticalResponse!