Seventh Birthday and September Events
September News and Events
September 5, 2012
header
Haley House Bakery Café Turns Seven 
box_top.gif
bakerycafe2005On August 29th, 2005, Haley House Bakery Café opened its doors with few certainties and a lot of enthusiaism.  Now seven years later, the Bakery Café is proud to announce that sales are covering 90% of the overall $900,000 budget.  The remaining 10% is covered through grants and individual donations.  Join us in celebrating as we reopen today, September 5th, for the fall season!  
box_bottom.gif
Haley House keeps growing! (vegetables, that is!)

In a recent trip to Noonday Farm, Take Back the Kitchen students learned first-hand how to harvest potatoes, cabbage, onions, beets, and tomotaes.  Two more trips to this beautiful, biodynamic farm are scheduled for September 22 and October 27.  If you are interested in joining us for an all-day (8:30am-4:30pm) trip to the farm, please email Robin Saunders

ravenbutterflynewsign20120825_145227 beefsteak_

 
Produce is also rolling in from the McKinley Garden, where Haley House is busy preparing lesson plans for garden and cooking classes that will be held throughout the school year in partnership with McKinley South End Academy.  If you are interested in joining us in the garden - whether at volunteer work days or during garden and cooking classes with the McKinley School - please email us at garden@haleyhouse.org and friend us on Facebook.
 
millswithking 2
Words from Mel King

haley house where all the tribes are welcome and all the gifts are shared

where love is the question and the answer the sustainable energy we can all share

 
box_bottom.gif

Interested in becoming a TEP Mentor?

 guyscookiesedited 2 The Transitional Employment Program (TEP) is a temporary employment and job-training program designed to support men and women who are transitioning back into the community from incarceration. TEP’s three primary objectives are to create stability, strengthen relationships, and encourage positive action. And that's where you come in!  If you are willing to serve as a role model and resource, act as a listener, and discuss difficult topics, please consider becoming a TEP mentor.  For more information, or to be considered as a mentor, please fill out the volunteer form or contact our volunteer coordinator.
Upcoming Events
at Haley House Bakery Cafe


Art is Life itself!
Thursday evenings from 6:00 to 9:00pm

 
9/6: Fulani Haynes and the Jazz Collaborative


First Fridays
Food & Fitness


1stFridayFlyer

9/7: Food & FItness Discussion from 7:30-9:00am

Noonday Farm Trips

9/22 and 10/27: Join Haley House in a working trip to Noonday Farm. Email Robin Saunders for details

Sunday Brunch

9/23: Haley House Bakery Cafe opens for Sunday Brunch, time TBA.

SummerFeast Best Jerk Chicken Prize Winners: Pepper Pot Restaurant and Chef  Audley Mills

millswithprize

Over 350 people attended the first annual SummerFeast, a Gospel Jamboree and Jerk Chicken Cook-Off Contest at Haley House Bakery Cafe.  The event was a smashing success, thanks to all of the wonderful participants and judges. We're already looking forward to next year's event!
Haley House Bakery Cafe: (617) 445-0900
Haley House Administrative Office:(617) 236-8132
bakery@haleyhouse.org
info@haleyhouse.org
 
 




Click to view this email in a browser

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please reply to this message with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or simply click on the following link: Unsubscribe

Haley House
23 Dartmouth Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116
US

Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy.

Non-Profits Email Free with VerticalResponse!