Going Green Matters,
and Community Garden Lottery
Here are three environmental events taking place this week that you really should check out. Read more below!
Going Green Matters
Sunday, March 11, 1pm - 5pm
Come to the Going Green Matters event this Sunday in Wilmette to see information booths and exhibitor displays on renewable energy resources, organic food choices, sustainable farming, green landscaping, composting, green home design, vermiculture, safe home & personal care products, and much more.
Additional attractions include:
- Presentations on growing your own food, home energy conservation, plug-in cars, commuter bicycles, storm water management and "raw food" topics.
- Eco-friendly fashions, the Plastic Bag Monster, the Energy Bike, the eco-myth buster booth, a composting display, nature exhibits, short documentaries, and school and community exhibits.
- The new Interactive Eco-Zone for all ages, Carol Freeman's nature photography exhibit and the "Go Green Café" for free refreshments.
- Recycling. Visit the website for a complete list of recyclables accepted. Drop off is at 600 9th Street, one block east of the Woman's Club of Wilmette, 1 - 5pm.
- Free admission. Great for families, neighbors and friends.
Location: Woman's Club of Wilmette, 930 Greenleaf Avenue, Wilmette
Tiny House - The Door is Open!
Monday, March 5 - March 9, 10am - 3pm
Saturday, March 10, Noon - 3pm
Northwestern University’s Tiny House will open its normal-sized door to the public for the first time March 5 to 10 so visitors can feel what it might be like to live life small. Very small. The zero net-energy house is fully independent and operates off the grid. It produces its own electricity using solar panels and also collects all of its water.
The house, a mere 128 square feet and sitting on a trailer, will be outside the Ford Motor Company Engineering Design Center, 2133 Sheridan Road, from March 5 to 10. Members of the team that built the house will be on hand to give tours and answer questions from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. each weekday and from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday.
The project team -- students and young alumni from the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science -- is using the house to teach people about sustainability, living simply and creatively using the space one has.
For more information, go to the Tiny House website at https://sites.google.com/a/u.northwestern.edu/nutinyhouse/home.
Location: Ford Motor Company Engineering Center, 2133 Sheridan Road, Evanston
Community Garden Lottery
Saturday, March 10, 3pm
The lottery for Evanston Community Garden plots will be held this Saturday at 3pm at the Evanston Ecology Center. To participate in Saturday's lottery, you must have already submitted your lottery registration. Available garden plots will be posted at the Ecology Center starting March 8. For more information on the lottery, click HERE, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 847-448-8256.
Location: Evanston Ecology Center, 2024 McCormick Blvd