PCO is Seeking 2012 Advisory Board Members
Submit your Nominations Today!
PCO values a diverse advisory board that supports the mission of PCO and represents the membership by having a balance of interests.
Board Term and Elections
● Advisory board members serve a 1-year term, with a limit of 5 consecutive terms.
● Our policies require that no more than half the board can be PCO-certified (or related in a way that violates the conflict of interest provision in the NOP regulations). That allows us to have a maximum of 7 certified producers on the board, plus a minimum of 8 others who are independent.
● For the non-certified seats, we can invite organic producers who are certified by another agency, someone from Penn State Ag Extension or NRCS, another non-profit ag organization, consumer or environmental group, a college, ag supply company, consumer, veterinarian, inspector, etc.
● Nominations can also be made by PCO members and PCO advisory board members. PCO will accept nominations via mail, email and phone.
● Board members are selected by the membership at the Annual Meeting in February.
● Generally, members should live in PCO’s certification region: Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, Ohio, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, District of Columbia.
● Advisory board members should be good communicators and be willing to contribute to the organization, chair committees, help at events, etc.
● Advisory board nominees must submit an advisory board application by December 1st prior to the next election.
Areas of Responsibility
● Lead the organization in strategic planning
● Ensure adequate financial resources and provide financial oversight.
● Build a diverse and competent board.
● Select, support, and evaluate the executive director.
● Enhance PCO’s public standing
Meetings and Events
● The 2012 advisory board term begins on the first board meeting following the election.
● The advisory board meets quarterly. Typically, 3 meetings take place at the PCO office in Spring Mills, PA and one is held in the Lancaster County, PA area. Members may attend by phone or web connection. (Travel expenses are reimbursed upon request.)
● PCO typically holds a strategic planning event in the spring which is attended by advisory board and staff members.
● PCO participates in training events, field days, trade shows, and other events. PCO expects advisory board members to participate in events when possible.
To make a nomination and provide supporting information, please contact:
Leanne Lenz, Managing Assistant
106 School St, Suite 201
Spring Mills, PA 16875
NODPA Ride Share Available!
There are several open seats in a PCO vehicle heading for NODPA's 11th Annual Field Days and Producer Meeting. For more information on a ride, contact Kathryn Tokarz, PCO's Administrative Assistant, at email@example.com or 814-422-0251. For more information on the Field Days, scroll down to the events section of this emarketplace.
Volunteers Needed for PCO's Exhibit Booth at the Mother Earth News Fair
Come enjoy a great festival and volunteer your time staffing PCO's exhibit booth. Volunteers are welcome anytime during the festival hours: Saturday 9am-7pm and Sunday 9am-5pm. For more information on volunteering, or to sign up to volunteer, please contact Kathyrn at firstname.lastname@example.org or 814-422-0251. For more information on the Mother Earth News Festival, click here.