December 8, 2011
Michael E. DeBakey Library Outreach Services Award
Now Accepting Nominations for 2012
Friends of the National Library of Medicine (FNLM) presents the Michael E. DeBakey Library Services Outreach Award annually to a practicing health sciences librarian for outstanding outreach in a rural or underserved communities. To find out more and nominate a medical librarian for this award, visit www.fnlm.org
History of the DeBakey Award
The Award was established in the early 1990s to recognized the contributions to medical education and librarianship by Michael E. DeBakey, M.D, (1908-2008). A world-renowned cardiac surgeon, innovator, medical educator, and international medical statesman, Dr. DeBakey worked tirelessly in numerous capacities to improve national and international standards of health care. Dr. DeBakey was influential in the development of the National Library of Medicine, as member of NLM's Founding Board of Regents; chair of President Johnson's Commission on Heart Disease, Cancer, and Stroke, which created the Regional Medical Library Network (now the National Network of Libraries of Medicine); and member of NLM's Long Range Planning Panel. He also testified many times before Congress on behalf of NLM and recommended that NLM broaden its databases to include authoritative health information for the public, the foundation for MedlinePlus.
For more information about the life and career of Dr. DeBakey, see the following articles:
Smith KA. Laws, Leaders, and legends of the modern National Library of Medicine. J Med Libr Assoc. 2008 April: 96(2): 121-133. DeBakey ME. The National Library of Medicine; evolution of a premier information center. JAMA. 1991 September: 266(9):1252-1258.
- Nominees must be
currently employed as a health sciences librarian and have worked in
such a position for at least five years immediately preceding the award.
- The nomination may be made for contributions by the librarian as
demonstrated by excellence and achievement in leadership, publications,
teaching, research, special projects or any combination of these.
- Nominations must be in writing and contain at least the following
- The official nomination form (available at fnlm.org)
- A precise description of the
nominee’s achievements, no more than 5 pages
- A current resume
or curriculum vitae
- Any additional information that would assist the
jury in the evaluation of the nomination and selection of the recipient.
Please include no more than ten extra pages.
All nominations must be received by December
- Self-nominations are
accepted and encouraged.
via mail, fax, or email (details below):
Mail: Friends of the
National Library of Medicine
7900 Wisconsin Ave., Suite 200 Bethesda, MD
Nominate a great librarian for this award by visiting www.fnlm.org
or clicking the button below.
is honored to present the DeBakey Award to a practicing health sciences librarian
who works in the tradition of the incredible advances and medical
innovations of Dr. DeBakey to provide valuable helath information to
underserved and rural populations.
If you have any questions about the award, please contact Helen Harley: 202-679-9930, firstname.lastname@example.org
Past Awardees include:
- 2011 Ann Duesing Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, UVA’s College at Wise
- 2010 Rita Smith Mercer University Medical Library, Macon, GA
- 2009 Greysi Reyna Mario E. Ramirez MD Medical Library, University of Texas Health Science Center
- 2008 Ellen Howard Sherwood Library at Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington
- 2007 Ada M. Seltzer Rowland Medical Library at the University of Mississippi
- 2000 Janet E. Minnerath University of Oklahoma, Tulsa, OK
- 1999 Kathleen M. McCloskey Eccles Health Sciences Library, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
- 1998 Clinton M. Thompson, Jr. Bird Health Sciences Library, University Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK
- 1997 Donna P. Johnson Library/Media, Allina Health System, Minneapolis, MN
- 1996 Cheryl F. Smith Medical Library, University Medical Center, LaFayette, LA
- 1995 Phyllis Gillikin Northwest AHEC Library at Hickory, Catawba Memorial Hospital, Hickory, NC
- 1994 Lorraine Ettl Harley E. French Library of the Health Sciences, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND
- 1993 Mary Jo Dwyer Dolph Brisco, Jr. Library, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, TX
Friends of the National Library of Medicine is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
7900 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 200, Bethesda, MD 20814